[Marxism] NATO's eastward expansion

Ralph Johansen mdriscollrj at charter.net
Sun Apr 13 15:18:17 MDT 2014

** *Louis Proyect wrote
*
*You know, I read this kind of thing and my eyes roll.

I just spent 3 hours today going through Nexis to find data on Donetsk
that is relevant to the discussion.

This moron Fred Feldman who I threw off Marxmail after one too many
pro-Obama statements wrote this typical "scratch to gangrene"
denunciation of me, the ISO and the Mandelistas for not having the
"correct" line on Ukraine. We were all caving in to imperialist pressure
like Max Shachtman. I suppose I am James Burnham because I went to the
Metropolitan Opera a couple of times. (I left my top hat at home.)

Anyhow, I told Fred: "What you don't understand is that I see my role as
countering bullshit, not cheerleading for any particular politician in
the Ukraine. I spent an entire day a few weeks ago going through Nexis
trying to get to the bottom of what had been happening in Ukraine since
Yanukovych reneged on the deal with the EU. Just the way I read through
5 years worth of newspaper articles to get to the bottom of Qaddafi's
rule."

What investment do comrades have in Marxism, really? Marx spent many
long hours at the London library researching Capital. This mailing list
is polluted by too much rhetoric and too little data. What would prevent
Ralph Johansen from going to a library and reading a god-damned book on
Ukraine? What am I supposed to do with phrase-mongering like taking
"account the effect on the course of the struggle of the activity of
transnational struggle"? That, and $1.10 will get me on the NY subway
and that's about it.
*
*
***It is not my intention to denounce anyone here. *I know that you have
access ***to Nexus *(probably institutional with your connection to
Columbia?). ***I would research and write far more than I do if I had
full access to what's out there. *Nexus in its more helpful format would
cost me a couple thousand a year****, and I have no local library with
comparable resources. Until something happens to allow affordable access
to Nexus or an equivalent, from what I know of resources I'm stuck with
the conventional search engines, which are very limited. Please tell me
if there is an effective, affordable resource and I'll get on it, trying
to organize material and draw on it. But in any case, ***while I
certainly appreciate the efforts of those who use these resources fully
and carefully*, that should not preclude comment on those who do have
such resources. What I also sense as I said is that much of the exchange
on this list seems to be going in circles, mainly I think because of a
failure to go beyond the essential factual data to make the kind of
dialectical analysis that I'm referring to, the difficult task of
interweaving and contextualizing opposing forces - not least the "chess
game" and its relationship to class struggle. If you think I'm mistaken,
point to it and I'll stand corrected.* Others might benefit as well.

---