[Marxism] SYRIA: Seeing the women in revolutionary Syria | Tahrir-ICN

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Apr 13 17:47:59 MDT 2014

Studying the women’s situation in Syria, whether now or before the
outbreak of revolution, without taking into consideration the
government’s political structure, based on its intelligence personnel
and tens of hidden security apparatuses, is a dead end if we wish to
understand how women’s rights are directly affected by the government’s
internal policies.

As a woman who lived most of her adult life in Syria, I would not dare
to launch a women’s magazine, for example, in my university, without it
being under the supervision of a government institution. The Baath
ruling party had a National Students Union (NSU) set up in each
university, which not only hijacked any daring independent initiatives
coming from students, but also served as an intelligence body that
watched and monitored closely any student who tried to lobby or organize
any activity on such causes as the war in Iraq or the conflict over
Palestine – even though the government boasted that it was the lone
defender of Palestinian rights and was constantly attacking the US
invasion of Iraq. Yet the regime understood perfectly well, that any
improvised initiative, even in support of Palestine or Iraq, might pave
the way for a lobbying closer to home and the organizing of active groups.

I am reminding the reader that we are talking about a government that
owned and occupied the public space of a country, and everything that
this entailed, for more than forty years. Citizens were cultured into
not initiating, not thinking or even daring to dream about challenging a
system that was tightly structured on political, social, military and
economic levels. Not forgetting too, that the government had widely
disseminated a culture of fear among its citizens with massacres like
the Hama massacre of 1982 and several arrest campaigns in later years of
intellectuals, leftists and Islamists, of Syrians and Palestinians,
which resulted in 20 years in jail for a dissident, with no access to
lawyers or visits from family members. So one should be clear, that the
major obstacle towards securing and enhancing women’s rights in Syria,
was simply the absence of democracy. Failing to support the people’s
attempts at revolution, on the official level or in the decisions of
international human rights groups, is in fact a clear statement of
support for human rights’ abuses as a whole and not just those of women.

full:
http://tahriricn.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/syria-seeing-the-women-in-revolutionary-syria/