[Marxism] Pilger on South Africa

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Mon Apr 14 11:17:25 MDT 2014

On 2014/04/14 10:58 AM, Alan Wieder wrote:

> Pilger's Counterpunch article on South Africa is smug and elitist and yet,
> of course, presents some truths about the capitalist co-opting of the ANC.
> The problem is that Pilger doesn't tell us anything that we don't already
> know and offers nothing in terms of how the struggle continues in South
> Africa at the present time -- shame on him.
>
> http://www.counterpunch.org/2014/04/14/south-africa-today-apartheid-by-another-name/

Nonsense comrade Alan! :-)

1) every word is true (ok, to be picky I would have replaced "A
small-scale credit system could have opened the way for affordable goods
and services for the majority" with "A highly subsidised credit system
could have supported collectively-produced local goods and services for
the majority" because in fact predatory consumer credit is one of the
main daily features of class apartheid today, as it is in so many sites
of capitalist crisis);

2) all of this bears frequent repeating, especially in the main
white-read petit-bourgeois newspaper in SA and by comrades around the
world who otherwise might be confused by the hailstorm of fibbery from
the ruling party as the May 7 election approaches; and

3) the implicit suggestion Pilger makes about "how the struggle
continues" is obvious enough - let's drop the veil of ignorance about
what Ronnie Kasrils terms the Mandela government's 'Faustian pact' with
global capital so we can revisit the cosy relationships Pilger describes
so eloquently.

Not 'shame on Pilger'; shame on us in South Africa for taking so long to
get an alternative going to ANC-SACP rule (and Cosatu quiescence), but
at least that turn now appears imminent...
http://monthlyreview.org/2014/04/01/south-africas-resource-curses-growing-social-resistance