[Marxism] Pilger

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Mon Apr 14 13:03:02 MDT 2014

On 2014/04/14 01:53 PM, Alan wrote:
> Come on patrick. The article could'nt be more smug. That Matters

Ah, not as much as content, surely... you can give Pilger a pass on
tone, he deserves it, no? His interview with Mandela was the most
probing anyone's ever done, and his main SA film -
http://johnpilger.com/videos/apartheid-did-not-die - way back in 1998
was such an excellent prediction of what we suffered over the subsequent
years. He donated that for widespread distribution amongst activists
quite early on, and it is still the finest post-apartheid doccie, in my
view.

And anyhow, as you recall from being in SA lots, the ruling class
narrative is absolutely suffused with smugness, so sometimes one needs
the master's tools to be heard in his house, while tearing away at his
foundations... after all, around 12,000 township protests per year (1900
were violent last year alone), according to police stats, haven't woken
up the bourgeoisie to the fact that they did something rather untenable,
to corrupt Mandela, Slovo, etc 24 years ago...