[Marxism] Vanishing Pearls; Bad Hair | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Apr 17 10:50:19 MDT 2014

At the risk of stretching a point until it breaks, both films under
review bear on the relationship between race and petroleum. “Vanishing
Pearls”, a documentary opening on April 18th at the Imagenation in New
York and Downtown Independent in LA (nationwide screening info is at
http://www.affrm.com/vanishing-pearls/), looks at the plight of the
largely African-American oyster fisherman of Louisiana who have been
screwed royally by BP and their henchmen—witting or unwitting.

Since “Bad Hair” (Pelo Malo) is a Venezuelan narrative film about a
9-year-old biracial boy living in Caracas with his mestizo mother and
since the Tribeca Film Festival where it is being shown is a platform
for films from a left perspective, one might assume that it would be
full of positive references to the benefits accrued from
petro-development. In fact, just the opposite is the case. The
protagonists of Mariana Rondón’s very accomplished film appear totally
untouched by the Bolivarian revolution. Despite my commitment to the
goals of the Venezuelan government, I could not help but be troubled by
the reality depicted in Rondón’s film. Notwithstanding the doubts it
raised in my mind, I strongly recommend it as a neorealist examination
of the lives of poor people in Caracas, and particularly as a study of
the challenges that Junior, its 9-year-old hero, faces in a society
where homophobia still looms strong.

full: http://louisproyect.org/2014/04/17/vanishing-pearls-bad-hair/