[Marxism] What's new at Links: Pakistan, Right to choose, Bosnia, Ukraine, Italy &Tsipras, Boris Kagarslitsky, Venezuela, Capital, Michael Lebowitz, Costa Rica, Nigeria, Rwanda

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Apr 18 06:16:06 MDT 2014

On 4/17/14 11:08 PM, glparramatta wrote:

> By *Roger Annis*
> April 15, 2014 -- Moves by the Ukraine government to crack down on
> protests against its rule in the east of the country appear to have
> quickly faltered and backfired. Protest actions are widening.
>
>   * Read more <http://links.org.au/node/3808>

"Russia’s leaders have taken the refounded country along a capitalist
path. They have also resisted the efforts of the US and Europe to
penetrate and dominate the economies of eastern Europe and the republics
of the former Soviet Union."

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/from-lisbon-to-vladivostok-putin-envisions-a-russia-eu-free-trade-zone-a-731109.html

11/25/2010 11:44 AM

'From Lisbon to Vladivostok'
Putin Envisions a Russia-EU Free Trade Zone

Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin would like to see a free trade
agreement between the European Union and Russia. In a Thursday editorial
for a German newspaper, he describes his vision of "a unified
continental market with a capacity worth trillions of euros."

No more tariffs. No more visas. Vastly more economic cooperation between
Russia and the European Union. That's the vision presented by Russian
Prime Minister Vladimir Putin in an editorial contribution to the German
daily Süddeutsche Zeitung on Thursday.

"We propose the creation of a harmonious economic community stretching
from Lisbon to Vladivostok," Putin writes. "In the future, we could even
consider a free trade zone or even more advanced forms of economic
integration. The result would be a unified continental market with a
capacity worth trillions of euros."

The proposal comes as Putin travels to Germany on Thursday for a two-day
visit, including a Friday meeting with German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
On Wednesday, Russia and the EU reached an important agreement on the
elimination of tariffs on raw materials such as wood. The deal was an
important prerequisite for the EU dropping its opposition to Russian
membership in the World Trade Organization. Moscow is hoping to become a
member in 2011.

Putin, though, as his Thursday proposal makes clear, envisions more.
"The current state of cooperation between Russia and the EU is not
consistent with the challenges that we face," he writes. "To transform
the situation, we need to take advantage of the advantages which already
exist and the possibilities for progress in the EU and Russia."

A 'New Wave of Industrialization'

In addition to the establishment of closer economic ties between the EU
and Russia, Putin also envisions close cooperation on industrial policy.
"In my view, we need to address the question as to how we can trigger a
new wave of industrialization across the European continent." In
particular, Putin mentions ship, automobile and airplane construction,
space technology, pharmaceuticals and medical technology and nuclear energy.

Putin also proposes much closer collaboration when it comes to energy.
"In recent years, cooperation on energy issues between Russia and the EU
has attracted much attention and, to be honest, has been much too
politicized." He would like to see European and Russian firms working
together "from exploration and exploitation of energy resources all the
way to the delivery to consumers."

The offer is a sharp about-face from just five years ago when Gazprom
first opened itself up to outside investment. But the vision is likely
to take a hit this week. One of the topics on the agenda for the meeting
between Putin and Merkel is the German energy giant E.on's intention to
sell its 3.5 percent stake in Gazprom in order to concentrate on Asian
and South American markets. E.on is the largest foreign stakeholder in
the Russian natural gas company.

'Fifty Years into the Future'

Putin also proposed much closer cooperation when it comes to research
and high-tech projects. "European science and education must secure its
leadership position," he wrote. "That is affordable through a close
partnership." An important step to achieving that partnership, he
continues, is eliminating the visa requirement for travel between Russia
and EU member states.

"The renewed principles of our cooperation could be anchored in the
partnership agreement between the EU and Russia, an accord which is
currently under negotiation. We should approach this treaty from a
strategic perspective. We should try to think 20, 30, even 50 years into
the future."