[Marxism] GAME OF TROPES: Racefail (spoilers)

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Apr 21 11:37:39 MDT 2014

I’m late to Game of Thrones - but I caught up.  And I couldn’t help
photoshopping this picture of Khal Drogo as a Klingon.  Anyone sad
enough to be familiar with both GOT and Star Trek knows exactly what I’m
talking about.

The Klingons are the Dothraki of Star Trek - the scary, warmongering
Other from the Heart of Darkness out in deep space.  The great thing
about imaginary black and brown people is that white sci-fi/ fantasy
writers can project their repressed oriental fetishes onto a blank
canvas without taking responsibility – “WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT’S RACIST,
THERE’S NO SUCH THING AS KLINGONS OR DOTHRAKI! How can we be racist
towards people WHO DON’T EVEN EXIST??”  Funny how it’s always real black
and brown people who have to play the role of the imaginary
‘non-existent’ warrior/tribal/primitive/race. (With the exception of the
original Star Trek, which had white actors in blackface as Klingons … lol)

full:
http://aamerrahman.tumblr.com/post/52770211665/game-of-tropes-racefail-spoilers