[Marxism] The Return of Stefan Zweig » CounterPunch: Tells the Facts, Names the Names

Ernest Leif ernestleif at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 12:16:47 MDT 2014

Good read. Ophuls is one of my favorites, and much more of a political
filmmaker than he's given credit for, at least regarding his treatment of
women.

The Nazi's of course loathed him, not only for being Jewish, but for being
on the left, and lastly for chasing gentile women, and getting chased
back...

His son's film "The Sorrow And the Pity" is one of the greatest
documentary's ever made. I'm sure most on this list have seen it.

Anderson, who I'm no fan of, constantly pays homage to Ophuls' form, with
his tracking shots and moving camera. It's kind of like Tarentino naming
his company after a Godard film - all form no content...