[Marxism] Ukraine and WWII

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Apr 22 18:58:39 MDT 2014

On 4/22/14 8:23 PM, Ken Hiebert wrote:
> The xenophobic and anti-communist orientation of the Ukrainian
> nationalists was known well before the outbreak of the Second World
> War, and they contributed greatly to the extermination of Jews, Poles
> and all non-Ukrainians, especially in Western Ukraine where they were
> part of the German occupation for a longer time.

I am surprised that this is the first time you have heard about Bandera
and the OUN. He has been the hero of Svoboda and other rightwing
politicians in Ukraine going back to the Orange Revolution. Here's a
useful article by Timothy Snyder on him.

http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2010/feb/24/a-fascist-hero-in-democratic-kiev/