[Marxism] Ukraine: Miners strike in Lugansk region

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Apr 23 17:34:09 MDT 2014

On 4/23/14 6:43 PM, Matthew Russo wrote:
> 2000 miners gathered at the mine office, *demanding the
> reinstatement of 30 miners who had been dismissed for participating in a
> rally in Lugansk*.

I of course view the Militant newspaper as unreliable but if this is
true, it is an important development:

For the most part, police forces in the east — unchanged since the
overthrow of Yanukovych — either permitted or helped to organize
provocations. A big majority of cops in Donetsk defected to the
Moscow-backed forces, taking the regional administration building and
appealing for Russian President Vladimir Putin to send troops.

But the provocations have received very little support among working
people. Sergei Baryshnikov, a 53-year-old former history professor who
was recently proclaimed a “deputy” in the pro-Moscow “Donetsk People’s
Republic,” told the Wall Street Journal April 9 that “miners and
steelworkers haven’t joined the pro-Russia movement.”

In Luhansk, 35 miles from the Russian border, more than 1,000 took to
the streets to protest the provocations April 13. Sizable rallies also
took place in Odessa and Zaporizhia. More than 1,000 rallied in Kharkiv
April 12. And hundreds of miners and others rallied in the city square
of the eastern mining city of Krivii Rig.

“We’ve been in contact with miners in Luhansk, Donetsk and other
cities,” Yuriy Petrovych, president of the city-wide Independent Trade
Union of Miners of Ukraine in Krivii Rig, told the Militant April 9.
“Miners know that if Russia seizes some of our cities, there will be no
work in the mines within a month. We know what’s at stake and we are
determined to fight to keep a united Ukraine. That’s what our comrades
in all the eastern cities are organizing to do.”

“We are organized to prevent Russian forces or their supporters from
taking any government buildings here,” Petrovych said. “Earlier today we
heard there was a possible attack at the city square and we mobilized
our self-defense groups to go down. No one showed up. People know we are
prepared here.”

These actions and preparations reflect the overwhelming sentiment of
working people across Ukraine. A recent poll by the Kiev-based
Democratic Initiatives Foundation suggests only 8 percent of Ukrainians
are in favor of secession. In Donetsk, the main city in the east, it is
18 percent.

full: http://www.themilitant.com/2014/7816/781601.html