[Marxism] War by Other Means: The Violence of North Korean Human Rights

Dennis Brasky dmozart1756 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 07:23:23 MDT 2014

I would not have wasted comrades' time if I didn't feel that it was worth
reading. With much of the left succumbing to "the enemy of my enemy is my
friend/lesser evil imperialism" I understand why your guard was up . Mine
was too, expecting a justification for NK totalitarianism, but it never
prettified the regime, only providing the historical context that helped to
give birth to and sustain it.

The Korean War has been called "the forgotten war" and we on the left
should do what we can to study and educate people about how the uninvited
US Occupation in 1946 opposed the Korean people's overwhelming desire for a
left government that would punish the hated Japanese collaborators by
seizing their property, instituting land reform, and creating a powerful
labor movement. Instead, the Occupation supported the collaborators, broke
strikes, imprisoned thousands, and stood by while massacres of workers,
peasants, and students were carried out. This hatred and fear of an
independent/left Korea led to the war (1950-53) where the US Air Force was
unopposed, leveling the country so that after a few months, pilots were
complaining that "there were no more targets left."

Korea was Vietnam before Vietnam, and that US hostility for the next six
decades have taken the form of sanctions, broken promises, support to
brutal dictatorships in the South, "war games", and nuclear blackmail.
Certainly this had to affect the nature of the NK regime as US hostility
towards the Cuban Revolution necessarily distorted the development of
Cuba's government. We can say this without withholding our criticisms in
the spirit of "within the revolution, everything."