[Marxism] Bohemians | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Apr 29 13:56:16 MDT 2014

Last night I went to a panel discussion timed to the launch of
“Bohemians: a Graphic History”, a comic book co-edited by Paul Buhle and
David Berger. Paul gave the opening remarks and David concluded.
Sandwiched between them were a number of artists who took part in the
project. Based on my readings of previous projects Buhle was involved
with along these lines, I expect this latest book to be a winner. In the
past Buhle worked closely with Harvey Pekar on works such as “SDS”, “The
Beats” and “Yiddishkeit”, in many ways a natural tie-in to “The
Bohemians”. Given the centuries long tendency for American capitalism to
crush all forms of human expression under its heel, it is only natural
for a homegrown bohemia to have emerged. In his concluding remarks,
Berger said that bohemia is dead but followed that observation
immediately with one that it has always been dead. In Paris, back in
1850, you can be sure that someone would have been saying “La Boheme
c’est mort.” Obviously as long as there is moloch—as Allen Ginbsberg
once put it—there will be bohemia.

full: http://louisproyect.org/2014/04/29/bohemians/