[Marxism] Anand Gopal: How to lose a war that wasn’t there

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Apr 30 08:05:14 MDT 2014

(Last night I went to hear my old friend John Halle and his colleagues
performing new compositions out in Brooklyn that I will be blogging
about later. If I hadn't been committed to that, I would have gone to a
book party for Anand Gopal who has a new book out on Afghanistan. Anand
wrote a terrific article on the Syrian revolution in Harper's about two
years ago, one that I frequently refer to. I expect his new book to be
first-rate.)

How the U.S. created the Afghan war — and then lost it
The unreported story of how the Haqqani network became America’s
greatest enemy
By Anand Gopal

It was a typical Kabul morning. Malik Ashgar Square was already
bumper-to-bumper with Corolla taxis, green police jeeps, honking
minivans, and angry motorcyclists. There were boys selling phone cards
and men waving wads of cash for exchange, all weaving their way around
the vehicles amid exhaust fumes. At the gate of the Lycée Esteqial, one
of the country’s most prestigious schools, students were kicking around
a soccer ball. At the Ministry of Education, a weathered old
Soviet-style building opposite the school, a line of employees spilled
out onto the street. I was crossing the square, heading for the
ministry, when I saw the suicide attacker.

He had Scandinavian features. Dressed in blue jeans and a white t-shirt,
and carrying a large backpack, he began firing indiscriminately at the
ministry. From my vantage point, about 50 meters away, I couldn’t quite
see his expression, but he did not seem hurried or panicked. I took
cover behind a parked taxi. It wasn’t long before the traffic police had
fled and the square had emptied of vehicles.

full:
http://warincontext.org/2014/04/29/anand-gopal-how-to-lose-a-war-that-wasnt-there/