[Marxism] Fwd: For eastern Ukrainians, a growing doubt: Is Russia manipulating us? - CSMonitor.com

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Aug 1 05:44:21 MDT 2014

“I was pro-Russia, but I changed in one day,” says one young native of
Donetsk who asked not to be named. She studied in Moscow and describes a
natural, brotherly feeling that prevailed for decades between eastern
Ukrainians and Russia.

But two events in Donetsk changed her mind, because of how they were
misrepresented on Russian television. In one case, she was in Moscow and
shocked to see Russian state TV report that all residents of Donetsk
marched on the streets with Russian flags, supporting Russian
intervention to “protect” them. She knew it was not true.

And in mid-March in Donetsk she witnessed pro-Russian activists attack a
small protest against Russian interference with knives and clubs,
killing one. Russian channels reported the event “upside down,” she
says, and claimed that it was a “peaceful” pro-Russian crowd that was
attacked.

After that, she says, she “understood that they are manipulating us.”
The result shattered her faith in Russia and its narrative, she says.
“It’s like someone very close to you – like your husband ­– does
something terrible to you.”

full:
http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europe/2014/0731/For-eastern-Ukrainians-a-growing-doubt-Is-Russia-manipulating-us