[Marxism] Fwd: Obama admits CIA 'tortured some folks' but stands by Brennan over spying | World news | theguardian.com

Dennis Brasky dmozart1756 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 08:10:24 MDT 2014

By NOT prosecuting torture, he is in violation of the Conventions Against
Torture, an international treaty signed by the US, thus making it US law.
He is thus complicit with torture and impeachable.

clip -

First, torture is a war crime and the United States has insisted that it
was at war. We have an obligation to investigate and prosecute any
officials responsible for torture.

Second, it does not matter if we are “afraid” or angry under international
law. These treaties clearly reject defenses like “just following orders” or
justified torture.

Third, Obama has yet to explain his promise to the CIA employees after
taking office that no Bush or CIA officials would be prosecuted.

What remains unclear is how we can justify not prosecuting those
responsible. We may have “tortured some folks” but we never “prosecuted
other folks.”

Full -
http://jonathanturley.org/2014/08/01/we-tortured-some-folks-obama-admits-united-states-committed-acts-violating-federal-and-international-law/#more-81716