[Marxism] Fwd: Palestine: The Hatred and the Hope by David Shulman | NYRblog | The New York Review of Books

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Aug 2 16:17:43 MDT 2014

(I remember what a big deal it was when the NY Review of Books began
publishing Tony Judt's rather bland critiques of Israel. Now we see
this. Of course it would have taken the sheer level of savagery to we
see now to bring things to a critical mass.)

Similar manifestations of right-wing violence and virulent verbal
attacks had been known to occur in earlier periods of tension in Israel.
What makes the present moment distinct is the phalangist-like
organization of the right-wing thugs, who feed off incitement by
politicians, including members of the cabinet, the Knesset, and other
figures within the Israeli establishment. Avigdor Lieberman, the foreign
minister, has publicly advocated a boycott by Israelis of all
Israeli-Arab businesses. In a now notorious Facebook post on July 1,
Knesset MP Ayelet Shaked, from the ultra-right Jewish Home party, cited
with approval an essay by the late right-wing Israeli journalist Uri
Elitzur defining the entire Palestinian people as “the enemy.” On July 3
the general secretary of the orthodox youth movement Bnei Akiva, Rabbi
Noam Perl, called on the Israel Defense Forces to become an “army of
vengeance that hopefully would not stop at three hundred Philistine
foreskins.” (The reference is to Samuel 18.27: the Biblical David
brought King Saul two hundred foreskins as a bride-price for Saul’s
daughter Michal; it is not uncommon in right-wing discourse in Hebrew to
call Palestinians “Philistines.”) To his credit, I suppose, Rabbi Perl
retracted his bloodthirsty statement and apologized a few days later.
Another rabbi, Dov Lior of Kiryat Arba in the territories, has recently
published a legal ruling permitting Israel to carry out the total
destruction of Gaza, exterminating the enemy.

full:
http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2014/aug/02/palestine-hatred-and-hope/