[Marxism] How It Came To National Oppression

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Aug 2 19:40:21 MDT 2014

On 8/2/14 8:26 PM, Matthew Russo via Marxism wrote:
> Previously the
> "Sunnis" had oppressed the "Shia" under the Saddam Hussein regime.  Hence
> the reversal of the terms of national oppression is possible, and quite
> likely when it is effected in close connection with US imperialist
> intervention in one form or another.

Except that we have the experience of "Western" oligarchic rule in
Ukraine. Any resemblance between the way that Tymoshenko or Yushchenko
ruled and how Saddam ruled is purely coincidental. Saddam was a brutal
dictator who kept the Shia down, and the Kurds even more so.

There is no evidence of Russian-speakers in Donbas ever having been in
such dire straits before Yanukovych. In fact the evidence is that
Tymoshenko and company were deferential to the Kremlin at the expense of
the people they were supposedly favoring.