[Marxism] Chechnya

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Aug 6 19:58:34 MDT 2014

Btw, if people are curious about how I got off the fucked-up, bullshit
"anti-imperialist" ideology, it all goes back to Chechnya. This is from
September 10, 2004:

From: Louis Proyect <lnp3 <at> panix.com>
Subject: Re: Adventures in Rhetoric (was re: beslan / lp)
Newsgroups: gmane.politics.marxism.marxmail
Date: 2004-09-10 14:15:27 GMT (9 years, 47 weeks, 1 day, 5 hours and 39
minutes ago)

mds wrote:
> LP: "Aren't you aware that Lenin was preparing to remove Stalin from
> his post because he was insensitive to Soviet peoples in the
> Caucuses?"
>
> DQ: "Good for Lenin. Now back to the present."
>
> "Lenin's last struggle" is not in doubt; your evasion of the current
> question through questioning David's recognition of what I assume
> you'll be calling the "ABC of Leninism" in your next post on this
> thread is. I don't doubt your point, just its validity.

What exactly is the "current question"? Russia is a capitalist nation of
146 million with one of the most advanced militaries in the world.
Chechnya has a population of between 800,00 and one million, comparable
in size to the city of Detroit.

Chechnya was colonized by the Czars in 1859 after finally putting down a
resistance that began in the 1830s, when the region was first occupied.
After Stalin seized power in the 1920s, he instituted a policy of Great
Russian chauvinism using Marxist rhetoric. In 1944, the entire
population of Chechnya was removed from its territory (as were the
Crimean Tatars) because they supposedly were pro-Nazi. In 1957 they were
allowed to return home, obviously a sign that Stalin's totalitarian rule
was untenable. In 1991, the Chechens chose to separate themselves from
Yeltsin's aggressively neoliberal state, that was consciously modeled on
Pinochet's Chile. After they defeated Russian troops and achieved a
promise of independence, Putin refused to follow through.