[Marxism] Fwd: Is Zionism/ Jewish Nationalism a Political Cult? The Salaita Firing | Informed Comment

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Aug 7 06:08:10 MDT 2014

I strongly suspect that Zionist organizations pressured the university
to fire Professor Salaita. But note that they did not engage him in a
public debate. They went into the halls of power behind the scenes. We
saw this a few years ago with Norman Finkelstein. This behavior is
undemocratic and cult-like, and it is unacceptable in a Liberal society.
We also see Jewish nationalists on the bench, in public office, and in
high administrative positions who misuse their public position to engage
in a sectarian vendetta so as to protect Israel from criticism or to
punish its critics. That behavior is unethical. US law and the US
constitution should guide the decision-making of public servants, not
narrow and idiosyncratic commitments. Would it be all right for a judge
of Serbian ancestry to throw the book at a Croatian-American defendant?

full: http://www.juancole.com/2014/08/nationalism-political-salaita.html