[Marxism] NYT Ombudsman on Rick Perlstein plagiarism charge

Charlie charles1848 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 12 18:47:00 MDT 2014

Here are a couple of examples of Perlstein's takings from Craig Shirley:

Craig Shirley: “According to Keene, she said, ‘That’s what I like to hear.’”
Rick Perlstein: “Nancy promptly reared up with gleaming eyes: ‘Now that
is the kind of talk I like to hear.’”

Craig Shirley: “Whenever he flew, Reagan would sit in the first row so
he could talk to people as they boarded the plane. On one occasion, a
woman spotted him, embraced him and said ‘Oh Governor, you’ve just got
to run for President!’ As they settled into their seats, Reagan turned
to Deaver and said, ‘Well, I guess I’d better do it.’”
Rick Perlstein: “When Ronald Reagan flew on commercial flights he always
sat in the first row. That way, he could greet passengers as they
boarded. One day he was flying between Los Angeles and San Francisco. A
woman threw his [sic] arms around him and said, ‘Oh Governor, you’ve got
to run for president!’ ‘Well,’ he said, turning to Michael Deaver, dead
serious, ‘I guess I’d better do it.”

See these and all the examples from Craig Shirley at
http://www.craigshirley.com/commentary/a-statement-in-response-to-the-stories/3/

In the first example, if Shirley interviewed Keene, then Perlstein,
writing a serious, multi-volume history, should cite a source - in the
book, not on a Web page. Perlstein should cite the source for the direct
quotations in both examples, too.

Perlstein apparently did not quote long passages verbatim. He did flout
standards of scholarly attribution.

The hyper-political Mao Zedong lectured over and over: No investigation,
no right to speak. But the fact that Craig Shirley is a political
slimeball serves as carte blanche by which liberals and some
commentators here dismiss Perlstein's obligation to do scholarly work
according to the standards of scholarship.