[Marxism] Articles on Britain & Swinging Sixties

Philip Ferguson philipferguson8 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 20:54:53 MDT 2014

At different times I've taught history courses on Britain in the 1960s,
usually starting with postwar austerity and then going through the 1950s
and into the 'swinging sixties'.  I've used a bit of material from these
for a couple of articles that are up on Redline.

The article below looks at the Profumo Affair; I suggest it was a moral
panic which, as moral panics often do, made some interesting bedfellows -
in this case uniting liberal modernisers in the Labour Party and media with
diehard social reactionaries in the Tory Party and the media.  The chief
victims were Christine Keeler and Mandy Rice-Davies who, it now appears,
were not prostitutes, just young women who liked a good time, and Stephen
Ward, who committed suicide:
The Profumo Affair as moral panic:
http://rdln.wordpress.com/2014/06/12/the-profumo-affair-a-moral-panic-between-austerity-britain-and-the-swinging-sixties/

The article below here looks at the movie 'Made in Dagenham', which deals
with the landmark strike by women workers at the Ford car plant at Dagenham
in England, and looks at the background to the strike and what is lost in
the movie as it set out to be a 'feelgood film' whose producers decided
deliberately to give it a feminist slant rather than have it seen as a
class-based film a la Ken Loach:
http://rdln.wordpress.com/2011/06/14/class-gender-the-1960s-and-made-in-dagenham/

Phil