[Marxism] Resisting Nazis, He Saw Need for Israel. Now He Is Its Critic

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Aug 16 07:32:45 MDT 2014

NY Times, August 16 2014
Resisting Nazis, He Saw Need for Israel. Now He Is Its Critic.
By CHRISTOPHER F. SCHUETZE and ANNE BARNARDA

THE HAGUE — In 1943, Henk Zanoli took a dangerous train trip, slipping
past Nazi guards and checkpoints to smuggle a Jewish boy from Amsterdam
to the Dutch village of Eemnes. There, the Zanoli family, already under
suspicion for resisting the Nazi occupation, hid the boy in their home
for two years. The boy would be the only member of his family to survive
the Holocaust.

Seventy-one years later, on July 20, an Israeli airstrike flattened a
house in the Gaza Strip, killing six of Mr. Zanoli’s relatives by
marriage. His grandniece, a Dutch diplomat, is married to a Palestinian
economist, Ismail Ziadah, who lost three brothers, a sister-in-law, a
nephew and his father’s first wife in the attack.

On Thursday, Mr. Zanoli, 91, whose father died in a Nazi camp, went to
the Israeli Embassy in The Hague and returned a medal he received
honoring him as one of the Righteous Among the Nations — non-Jews
honored by Israel for saving Jews during the Holocaust. In an anguished
letter to the Israeli ambassador to the Netherlands, he described the
terrible price his family had paid for opposing Nazi tyranny.

“My sister lost her husband, who was executed in the dunes of The Hague
for his involvement in the resistance,” he wrote. “My brother lost his
Jewish fiancée who was deported, never to return.”

Mr. Zanoli continued, “Against this background, it is particularly
shocking and tragic that today, four generations on, our family is faced
with the murder of our kin in Gaza. Murder carried out by the State of
Israel.”

His act crystallizes the moral debate over Israel’s military air and
ground assault in the Gaza Strip, in which about 2,000 people, a
majority of them civilians, have been killed. Israel says the strikes
are aimed at Hamas militants who fire rockets at Israeli cities and have
dug a secret network of tunnels into Israel.

Mr. Zanoli transformed over the decades from a champion to a critic of
the Israeli state, mirroring a larger shift in Europe, where anguish
over the slaughter of six million European Jews led many to support the
founding of Israel in 1948 as a haven for Jews worldwide.

But in the years since Israel occupied the West Bank and Gaza during the
1967 war, Europeans have become more critical. Israel blames
anti-Semitism, which has grown in Europe with the rise of right-wing
politicians. Some European protests against Israeli military action have
been marred in recent weeks by open anti-Semitism, blurring the line
between criticism of Israeli policy and hate speech against Jews. But
many other critics, like Mr. Zanoli, say their objection to Israeli
policy is not anti-Jewish but consistent with the humanitarian
principles that led them to condemn the Holocaust and support the
founding of a Jewish state.

“I gave back my medal because I didn’t agree with what the state of
Israel is doing to my family and to the Palestinians on the whole,” Mr.
Zanoli said in an interview Friday in his spare but elegant apartment,
adding that his decision was a statement “only against the state of
Israel, not the Israeli people.”

“Jews were our friends,” said Mr. Zanoli, a retired lawyer who uses a
motorized scooter but remains erect and regal, much as he appears in a
yellowing 1940s photograph archived at the Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial
in Jerusalem.

Mr. Zanoli said he had never publicly criticized Israel “until I heard
that my family was the victim.”

In Gaza, Mr. Zanoli’s in-laws say his gesture is a fitting response to
the losses of their family and others who have lost multiple relatives
in strikes on homes. Those in-laws include Hassan al-Zeyada, a
psychological trauma counselor who is an older brother of Ismail Ziadah.
Their mother, Muftiyah, 70, was the oldest family member to die in the
bombing.

Like Mr. Zanoli, Dr. Zeyada, 50, who works to treat the many
Palestinians in Gaza traumatized by war and displacement, has given much
thought to the fact that Israel was founded after the Holocaust, one of
history’s greatest collective traumas.

Dr. Zeyada, who transliterates his family name differently from his
brother, said Friday that he admired Mr. Zanoli and his family for their
struggle in World War II against “discrimination and oppression in
general and against the Jews in particular.”

“For them,” he added, “it’s something painful that the people you
defended and struggled for turn into aggressors.”

Dr. Zeyada said last month that none of his family members were
militants. Israel says that it takes precautions to avoid killing
civilians, and that Hamas purposely increases civilian casualties by
operating in residential neighborhoods. It has offered no information on
whether the Zeyada family home was hit purposely, and if so, what the
target was and whether it justified a strike that killed six civilians.
The military told the left-leaning Israeli newspaper Haaretz, which
first reported Mr. Zanoli’s decision, only that it was investigating
“all irregular incidents.”

At Yad Vashem, where a leafy garden commemorates the 25,000 people named
Righteous Among the Nations, a spokeswoman said Friday that Mr. Zanoli’s
renunciation of the prize was “his decision,” but “we regret it.”

More than 5,000 Dutch have received the honor; only Poles have been
honored more.

In 1943, Mr. Zanoli’s father was detained by the Nazis for his work in
the Dutch underground resistance movement. Soon after, according to Yad
Vashem’s citation, also awarded posthumously to Mr. Zanoli’s mother,
Jans, Mr. Zanoli traveled to Amsterdam to get Elchanan Pinto, 11, an
Orthodox Jewish boy whose parents and siblings would all die in the
death camps.

“Jans Zanoli knew very well the risks involved by then in hiding a
Jewish youngster in her home, but felt the moral obligation to do so,”
the citation reads. “Elchanan found a warm and loving home with them.”

After the Allied victory in 1945, an uncle of Elchanan’s took him to a
Jewish orphanage. In 1951, the citation says, Elchanan immigrated to
Israel, where he changed his last name to Hameiri. An Elchanan Hameiri
is listed in phone directories as living in Israel, but could not be
reached on Friday.

In his letter to the Israeli ambassador, Mr. Zanoli noted that among the
bereaved were “the great-great grandchildren of my mother.”

He relinquished the honor “with great sorrow,” he wrote, because keeping
an honor from Israel’s government would be “an insult to the memory of
my courageous mother” and to his Gaza family.

He added that his family had “strongly supported the Jewish people” in
their quest for “a national home,” but that he had gradually come to
believe that “the Zionist project” had “a racist element in it in
aspiring to build a state exclusively for Jews.”

He referred to the displacement of Palestinians — including members of
the Ziadah family — during the war over Israel’s founding as “ethnic
cleansing” and said Israel “continues to suppress” and occupy
Palestinian areas. Israel still occupies the West Bank; it pulled troops
out of Gaza in 2005 but retains control over its seafront, airspace and
most of its borders.

Israel says it maintains control to curb Palestinian militants like
those with Hamas, which in the past has killed several hundred Israelis
in suicide bombings. Palestinians see the continuing conflict as a
struggle for self-determination — they use Mr. Zanoli’s word for his
anti-Nazi work, resistance — and say Israel is obstructing the
establishment of a Palestinian state with policies like settlements in
the occupied West Bank.

Mr. Zanoli said he could envision a situation in which he would take the
medal back.

“The only way out of the quagmire the Jewish people of Israel have
gotten themselves into is by granting all living under the control of
the State of Israel the same political rights and social and economic
rights and opportunities,” he wrote. “Although this will result in a
state no longer exclusively Jewish it will be a state with a level of
righteousness on the basis of which I could accept the title of
‘Righteous among the Nations’ you awarded to my mother and me.”

In that event, he concluded, “be sure to contact me or my descendants.”