[Marxism] The Islamic State and ground-to-air missiles

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Aug 17 14:54:56 MDT 2014

On 8/17/14 4:45 PM, Shane Mage wrote:

> How can you quote that and still claim "no evidence" of a "rat line"
> sending "two to three shipments every week" of weapons through Turkey
> from Libya?

Because the USA knows that in a war that matches machine guns against
armored helicopters and MIG's, air power is decisive. From the very
beginning, the FSA complained about token support from Washington.

> Why is it kosher for the WSJ to cite unnamed Obamist propagandists but
> trief for Sy Hersh to cite unnamed whistleblowers?

Because the WSJ's account is logical and maps to the facts while Hersh's
is ludicrous. Btw, this is not the first time that Hersh has stuck his
foot in his mouth.

CounterPunch MARCH 05, 2007

The Dark Side of Spun a Lot?
Seymour Hersh and Iran
by MICHAEL YOUNG

It’s become a habit to greet whatever journalist Seymour Hersh writes
with reverence. However, after his ludicrous claim last summer that
Israel’s war in Lebanon was a trial run for an American bombing of Iran
– an accusation undermined by postwar narratives showing the confused
way Israel and the United States responded to the conflict – my doubts
hardened. In his latest New Yorker piece, Hersh maintains that he has
unearthed more dirt on the Bush administration: The US is involved in
containing Iran by directly or indirectly "bolstering Sunni extremist
groups that espouse a militant vision of Islam and are hostile to
America and sympathetic to Al Qaeda."

full: http://www.counterpunch.org/2007/03/05/seymour-hersh-and-iran/