[Marxism] The Islamic State and ground-to-air missiles

Michael Karadjis mkaradjis at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 18:11:04 MDT 2014

Agree with Jeff - David is being a little pedantic about about "not
any," but never mind, let's make that "hardly any." And more
importantly,m the only ones the FSA had were seized from the Syrian army
or brought over by defectors, not supplied by the US or any anyone else.

Jeff seems to imply that perhaps the US or Gulf regimes let a few
through, but certainly not to ISIS. I agree none went to ISIS, but even
though Jeff righty says the US "actively prevented" any Manpads getting
in, he then seems to suggest that some may have let through to the FSA -
if so, I disagree with the implication that any at all were. The
evidence is very clearly that the entire point of the US being in Turkey
in that operations room was precisely because some other pro-rebel Arabs
were trying to run a "at line" to get arms to the rebels, so the CIA (1)
made sure to prevent any Manpads getting in to anyone, (2) ensured the
amounts overall were small and of low quality, and (3) made sure to have
a say over who got any weapons at all and who didn't. The CIA moved into
an already existing operation that they did not set up and were
concerned about in order to control and limit it.

I also don't buy that the US aim in preventing Manpads and other
advanced weapons getting in was to ensure none got to al-Qaida. I
believe the aim was to ensure that none got to al-Qaida, none got to any
Islamists, no matter how moderate, and none got to secular FSA - ie,
that none got to any force fighting the regime. If any had got through,
it may ahve opened up the danger of them wining.