[Marxism] 'All power to the Soviets': Biography of a slogan, by Lars T. Lih

John Riddell johnriddell at sympatico.ca
Mon Aug 18 19:40:48 MDT 2014

Posted today on johnriddell.wordpress.com:

'All power to the Soviets': Biography of a slogan, by Lars T. Lih

(last paragraph:)
"Although Lenin’s high expectations were not met, we can still say that
the slogan “all power to the soviets” is the key to the Russian
revolution—and indeed, that the slogan was translated into reality. As
we saw from the observations of Rheta Childe Dorr, soviet power as
established during the February days, with all its strengths and
weaknesses, was a reality throughout 1917. This soviet power beat off
the attempts of the Provisional Government to defang or eliminate it,
and it continued to defend itself successfully against later attempts to
 destroy it. Although highly undemocratic in very many ways, soviet
power continued to be an expression of the Russian narod, creating a new society where the narod set the tone—for better or for worse."

For the full text, see http://bit.ly/1pX2dsH