[Marxism] On the "revolutionary" nature of McDonald's closures in Russia

Thomas Campbell avvakum at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 00:16:25 MDT 2014

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/crackdown-on-mcdonald-s-spreads-across-russia/505727.html

[...]

Russian politicians, meanwhile, came out on all sides of the affair.
Vladimir Zhirinovsky, the rabble-rousing leader of the Liberal-Democratic
Party, on Friday called for a McDonald's sign in the Moscow city center
to be ripped down, ITAR-Tass reported.

"We need to get rid of this sign, this disgusting sign has to go. What
gives them the right to teach us how to make pirozhki [stuffed Russian
buns]!" Zhirinovsky exclaimed to the few dozen people assembled at a
political rally calling for the downfall of U.S. fast food and a return
to the flag of the Russian Empire.

Others had a less sanguine view of the matter, such as Evgeny Roizman,
the mayor of Yekaterinburg and a prominent opposition figure.

"If we consider ourselves a great country and a great power, then these are
petty deeds, on the level of mice," Roizman said in an interview
on Komsomolskaya Pravda radio, news portal Ura.ru reported.

"It's a blow to our own people — to consumers, for one, and obviously all
the suppliers are locals. Hitting your own people doesn't make any sense,"
he said.

____

A reader's comment on this article:

Very shortsighted and poorly thought out punitive measure by Russia
especially when you consider McDonald's employs over 37,000 Russians,
sources around 80% of their food from local farmers, the franchises are
owned by Russians and McDonald's was Russia's 2011 "Employer of the Year."

I'm not sure if Putin understands sanctions very well, you're not supposed
to sanction yourself more than the target nation.