[Marxism] Israeli teenagers: Racist and proud of it

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Aug 24 07:21:32 MDT 2014

Haaretz August 23, 2014

Israeli teenagers: Racist and proud of it
Ethnic hatred has become a basic element in the everyday life of Israeli
youth, a forthcoming book finds.

By Or Kashti

“For me, personally, Arabs are something I can’t look at and can’t
stand,” a 10th-grade girl from a high school in the central part of the
country says in abominable Hebrew. “I am tremendously racist. I come
from a racist home. If I get the chance in the army to shoot one of
them, I won’t think twice. I’m ready to kill someone with my hands, and
it’s an Arab. In my education I learned that ... their education is to
be terrorists, and there is no belief in them. I live in an area of
Arabs, and every day I see these Ishmaelites, who pass by the [bus]
station and whistle. I wish them death.”

The student’s comments appear in a chapter devoted to ethnicity and
racism among youth from a forthcoming book, “Scenes from School Life”
(in Hebrew) by Idan Yaron and Yoram Harpaz. The book is based on
anthropological observations made by Dr. Yaron, a sociologist, over the
course of three years in a six-year, secular high school in the Israeli
heartland – “the most average school we could find,” says Harpaz, a
professor of education.

The book is nothing short of a page-turner, especially now, following
the overt displays of racism and hatred of the Other that have been
revealed in the country in the past month or so. Maybe “revealed” isn’t
the right word, as it suggests surprise at the intensity of the
phenomenon. But Yaron’s descriptions of what he saw at the school show
that such hatred is a basic everyday element among youth, and a key
component of their identity. Yaron portrays the hatred without
rose-colored glasses or any attempt to present it as a sign of social
“unity.” What he observed is unfiltered hatred. One conclusion that
arises from the text is how little the education system is able – or
wants – to deal with the racism problem.

Not all educators are indifferent or ineffective. There are, of course,
teachers and others in the realm of education who adopt a different
approach, who dare to try and take on the system. But they are a
minority. The system’s internal logic operates differently.

Much of the chapter on racism revolves around the Bible lessons in a
ninth-grade class, whose theme was revenge. “The class starts, and the
students’ suggestions of examples of revenge are written on the
blackboard,” the teacher told Yaron. A student named Yoav “insists that
revenge is an important emotion. He utilizes the material being studied
to hammer home his semi-covert message: All the Arabs should be killed.
The class goes into an uproar. Five students agree with Yoav and say
openly: The Arabs should be killed.”

One student relates that he heard in the synagogue on Shabbat that
“Aravim zeh erev rav” [“Arabs are a rabble,” in a play on words], and
also Amalek, and there is a commandment to kill them all,” a reference
to the prototypical biblical enemy of the Children of Israel. Another
student says he would take revenge on anyone who murdered his family,
but would not kill them all.

“Some of the other students are outraged by this [softer stance],” the
teacher reported. “The student then makes it clear that he has no love
for Arabs and that he is not a leftist.”

Another student, Michal, says she is shocked by what she is hearing. She
believes that the desire for revenge will only foment a cycle of blood;
not all Arabs are bad, she adds, and certainly they don’t all deserve to
die. “People who decree the fate of others so easily are not worthy of
life,” she says.

Yoav himself claims to have heard Michal say: “Too bad you weren’t
killed in a terrorist attack.”

“The students all start shouting,” the teacher says, according to Yaron.
“Some are personally insulted, others are up in arms, and Michal finds
herself alone and absorbing all the fire – ‘Arab lover,’ ‘leftist.’ I
try to calm things down. The class is too distraught to move on to the
biblical story. The bell rings. I let them out and suggest that they be
more tolerant of one another.”

In the corridor during the break, the teacher notices that a crowd has
gathered from all the ninth-grade classes. They have formed a human
chain and are taunting Michal: “Fie, fie, fie, the Arabs will die.” The
teacher: “I contemplated for five seconds whether to respond or keep
going down the corridor. Finally I dispersed the gathering and insisted
that Michal accompany me to the teachers’ room. She was in a state of
shock, reeling under the insult, with tears to come instantly.”

Six students are suspended for two days. The teacher reports on his
conversation with Michal: “She continues to be laconic. This is what
always happens, she says. The opinions are racist, and her only regret
is speaking out. I just want to hug her and say I’m sorry I put her
through this trauma. I envy her courage to say aloud things that I
sometimes am incapable of saying.”

Leftists as ‘Israel-haters’

In his research, Yaron spoke with Michal and Yoav, with other students
in the class and with the homeroom teacher and the principal. The
multiplicity of versions of the goings-on that emerge suggest a deep
conflict and a lack of trust between the educators and the pupils. Each
world functions separately, with the adults exercising little if any
influence on the youngsters. It’s hard to believe that the suspension,
or the punishment inflicted on some of the students – for example, to
prepare a presentation for the ninth-grade classes on the subject of
racism – changed anyone’s opinion.

The same goes for the principal’s unequivocal declaration that, “There
will be no racist comments in our school.” Even the essay Michal was
asked to write on the subject was soon forgotten. “The intention was to
launch an educational program, but in the meantime it was postponed,”
the homeroom teacher admits.

A year later, however, the incident itself was still remembered in the
school. The same student who told Yaron that she won’t think twice if
she gets the opportunity “to shoot one of them” when she serves in the
army, also said, “As soon as I heard about the quarrel with that leftist
girl [Michal], I was ready to throw a brick at her head and kill her. In
my opinion, all the leftists are Israel-haters. I personally find it
very painful. Those people have no place in our country – both the Arabs
and the leftists.”

Anyone who imagines this as a local, passing outburst is wrong. As was
the case with the girl from the ORT network vocational school who
alleged earlier this year that her teacher had expressed “left-wing
views” in the classroom – in this case too a student related that he
cursed and shouted at a teacher who “justified the Arabs.” The students
say that workshops to combat racism, which are run by an outside
organization, leave little impression. “Racism is part of our life, no
matter how much people say it’s bad,” a student said.

In the concluding discussion in just one such workshop, the moderator
asked the students how they thought racism might eradicated. “Thin out
the Arabs,” was the immediate reply. “I want you to leave here with the
knowledge that the phenomenon exists, for you to be self-critical, and
then maybe you will prevent it,” the moderator said. To which one
student shot back, “If we’re not racist, that makes us leftists.”

The moderator, in a tone of despair: “I’d like it if you took at least
something small from this workshop.” A student responds to the
challenge: “That everyone should live the way he wants, that if he
thinks he’s racist, let him think what he wants, and that’s all.”

As an adjunct of racism and hatred, ethnic identities – Mizrahi (Jews
from Middle Eastern and North African countries) and Ashkenazi – are
also flourishing. Yoav believes that there is “discrimination between
Mizrahim and Ashkenazim. We were severely punished for the incident
[with Michal], but if it were the other way around, that wouldn’t have
happened.” Yoav later told Yaron that he found the common saying,
“What’s this, an [open-air] market?” offensive, because his whole family
works in the local produce market.

“Our business has existed since the state was established,” he said. “I
am proud of my father, who is a man of the market. What are they trying
to say, that my father isn’t cultured? When people say something about
‘Arabs,’ it’s considered a generalization, but when they say ‘market,’
that’s alright. When people say ‘market,’ they are actually talking
about Mizrahim. We need to change the prejudices about the market and
about the Mizrahim. People say I am a racist, but it’s just the opposite.”

“There is no discussion about the topic of racism in the school and
there probably will not be,” the principal admits. “We are not prepared
for the deep, long-term process that’s necessary. Even though I am
constantly aware of the problem, it is far from being dealt with. It
stems in the first place from the home, the community and the society,
and it’s hard for us to cope with it. You have to remember that another
reason it’s hard to deal with the problem is that it also exists among
the teachers. Issues such as ‘human dignity’ or ‘humanism’ are in any
case considered left-wing, and anyone who addresses them is considered
tainted.”

Threat of noise

Prof. Yoram Harpaz is a senior lecturer at Beit Berl Teachers College
and the editor of Hed Hahinuch, a major educational journal. Recalling
the recent promise of Education Minister Shay Piron that classes in the
first two weeks of the coming school year will be devoted to “emotional
and social aspects of the summer’s events,” including “manifestations of
racism and incitement,” Harpaz observes that schools in their present
format “are incapable of dealing with the racist personality and identity.”

He adds: “The schools are not geared for this. They can only impart
basic knowledge and skills, hold examinations on them and grade the
students. In fact, they have a hard time doing even that. In classes of
40 students, with a strict curriculum and exams that have to be held, it
is impossible to engage in values-based education.”

Yaron, a senior lecturer in sociology at Ashkelon Academic College,
emphasizes how important teachers and the principal (and the education
system in general) feel it is to stick to the curriculum and the lessons
schedule – two islands of quiet amid a risk-laden reality.

“Doing this makes it possible for the teachers not to enter a dynamic
sphere, which obligates openness and is liable to open a Pandora’s box,
too,” he notes. “The greatest threat to the teacher is that there will
be noise – that someone will complain, that an argument will break out,
etc. That danger looms especially large in subjects that interest young
people, such as sexuality, ethnicity, violence and racism. Teachers lack
the tools to cope with these issues, so they are outsourced, which only
emasculates educational personnel even more.”

The demand for quiet in the schools is not only an instrumental matter,
deriving from the difficulty of keeping order in the classroom. There is
also an ideological aspect involved. In general, there is a whole series
of subjects that are not recommended for discussion in schools, such as
the Nakba (or “catastrophe,” the term used by Palestinians to denote the
establishment of the State of Israel), human rights and the morality of
Israeli army operations. This was one of the reasons for the warnings
issued by Tel Aviv University and Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
during the fighting in the Gaza Strip about “extreme and offensive remarks.”

Harpaz: “In Israel, the most political country there is, political
education has not been developed as a discipline in which high-school
students are taught how to think critically about political attitudes,
or the fact that those attitudes are always dependent on a particular
viewpoint and on vested interests.”

What, then, can be done? According to Harpaz, the solution will not be
found in discussions between the homeroom teacher and the students. Nor
is a condemnation, however late, by the education minister sufficient. A
more radical change is needed.

“Values and outlooks are acquired in a lengthy process of identification
with ‘significant others,’ such as teachers,” Harpaz explains. “This
means that every aspect of the schools – patterns of teaching,
evaluation methods, curricula, the physical structure and the cultural
climate – has to change in the direction of becoming far more dialogical
and democratic.”

And he has one more recommendation: not to flee from political and moral
dilemmas, or from possible criticism. “Our leaders are so fearful of
criticism, but they don’t understand that critical education is what
generates close ties and caring. We get angry at those we love.”