[Marxism] Fwd: Soma: the Aftermath of a Tragedy (a Report) | LeftEast

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Aug 28 07:12:19 MDT 2014

The 1980 military coup introduced neoliberalism to Turkey in the most
assertive way. The spirit of the coup was crystallized in the words of
leading businessman Halit Narin: “Up until now, we cried and the workers
laughed. Now, it is our turn. We will laugh, and they will cry”. Halit
Narin’s words proved quite accurate. Following the coup, the condition
of the working class changed dramatically. Leading unions were shut
down; labor law was amended to the detriment of the working classes.
These measures made unionization quite difficult for workers in Turkey.
Today, Turkey probably has the worst working conditions for labor among
the OECD countries. In 2012, the rate of unionization stood at a mere
4.5%., the lowest among the OECD countries.

full: http://www.criticatac.ro/lefteast/somareport1/