[Marxism] Vijay Prashad's mistranslation

Lüko Willms marxmail at lws-media.de
Thu Aug 28 14:17:42 MDT 2014

on Mittwoch, 27. August 2014 at 17:44, Prashad, Vijay via Marxism wrote:

> Someone called Anas writes to let me know that Jabhat an-Nusra
> should be translated as “Victory” and not "Support” Front.

> Seems like Clay Clairborne agrees that I have made an error.

> The word in question is Nusra. Some of you might know the name
> Nusrat, meaning Aid or Assistance. Not Victory.

 Vijay is right.

 But ... the confusion arises from the fact that both words are variations of the same radical ??? in latin script nasara (the middle "s" should have a dot underneath, according to the DMG-transliteration), and that ??? (nasr) means victory and triumph, but ???? (nusra) means help, assistance.

 So Anas has a point, referring to the fact that both words are variations of the same radicals nun, sad, ra.

 Ansar (?????) comes from the same radicals, meaning supporter, friends, adept

Cheers,
Lüko Willms