[Marxism] Two Views of Podemos

turbulo at aol.com turbulo at aol.com
Mon Dec 1 09:23:09 MST 2014

Louis wrote:

I have gone through the experience of a small group being built around a
"revolutionary" program and hoping to accumulate cadre until the masses
radicalize in sufficient number to flock to the party like iron filings
to a magnet. It does not work. So did Jim Creegan when he was in the
Spartacist League. I encourage him to continue along those lines since
it seems to sustain him spiritually and psychologically. God knows we
all need security blankets in times like these.

*************************************

Louis can't seem to answer the arguments of anyone who
disagrees with him w/o baiting them for other political
positions or their political past. But apart from that, he
is right that attempts to organize a revolutionary party
in the US and other Western countries have failed in the
post-war period, mainly because they can't recruit
more than a handful of people, and the idea of revolution
is very remote from any segment of the population
right now. Any existing energy for change is in the reformist
camp.

But Louis might pause in his rush to join the left-reformists
long enough to  consider this fact: left-reformism,
even (and especially) where it has achieved its electoral
aims, hasn't "worked" either. Left-reformist governments
have come under massive political and economic attacks from the
ruling classes, for which they have no answer. They either retreat,
or go down to defeat (usually both). This occurs because
their politics are explicitly or implicitly based on faith in bourgeois
democracy. They believe in the mobilization of the masses
solely or chiefly for electoral purposes. Further, when the reformists
are defeated, the masses who followed them don't draw the
appropriate conclusions and go on to some higher level of
revolutionary consciousness on their own. They are instead
despairing and demoralized for years and decades after. Nothing
fails like failure. True, a much larger number of people are drawn to
reformist parties and causes, and this is probably why
Louis finds them so much more appealing than the
SWP of his younger days. But this doesn't make them
any more successful in the long run than minuscule
revolutionary sects. I think it is important to engage the
left-reformists. But to engage them is not to join them.

Jim Creegan