[Marxism] Fwd: Are Humans Going Extinct?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Dec 2 06:37:13 MST 2014

Guy McPherson is a professor emeritus of natural resources, and ecology
and evolutionary biology, with the University of Arizona, who has been
studying ACD (anthropogenic climate disruption) for nearly 30 years.

His blog Nature Bats Last has developed a large readership that
continues to grow, and for six years McPherson has been traveling around
the world giving lectures about a topic that, even for the initiated, is
both shocking and controversial: the possibility of near-term human
extinction due to runaway ACD.

As McPherson has told Truthout: "We've never been here as a species, and
the implications are truly dire and profound for our species and the
rest of the living planet." He told Truthout that he believes that
near-term human extinction could eventually result from losing the
Arctic sea ice, which is one of the 40 self-reinforcing feedback loops
of ACD. "A world without Arctic ice will be completely new to humans,"
he said.

full: http://truth-out.org/news/item/27714-are-humans-going-extinct