[Marxism] Fwd: Three lessons learned from the Syrian conflict | Opinion | Daily Sabah

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Dec 4 01:26:00 MST 2014

I bought a house in the city of Homs in early 2011, and I wanted nothing
to disturb what I hoped would be a trouble-free existence. As long as
the state provided me with electricity, some security, a stable currency
- and a half decent Internet connection - I could not care less who
headed it as long as they left me alone. My fence sitting lasted through
the initial demonstrations in Dara, the subsequent crackdown by the
regime, the spread of demonstrations to Homs and even to my home village
of Talkalakh. Through it all, I was adamantly in the "leave me out of
it" camp. All that changed on the night of April 18-19, 2011. In the
evening, I was in my home village debating with my uncle the wisdom of a
planned Friday demonstration.

A few hours after midnight, I was in a state of complete and abject
terror. The next morning, I was mad as hell. And by the afternoon of
April 19, I had initiated my first contact with a foreign news agency as
an activist from Homs. I had turned completely and irrevocably against
the regime. The event that had suddenly and so jarringly finally gotten
me off the fence was the massacre by the regime's security forces of a
large scale demonstration being held at the time in the very center of
Homs - the city I had planned and hoped to make my home after so many
years of not having a place to call home. By sheer luck, my own brother
had missed being caught up in the terrible events of that night when
demonstrators were hunted down in the streets and butchered in cold blood.

It shook me. It was an all-out declaration of war against the city of
which I had come to regard myself an inhabitant. It was an act of
barbarity against my neighbors, friends and relatives. I did not know
what I could do to fight back, but I was about to find out. All politics
is personal. When you get down to it, the most committed people from any
side or camp are those with deep personal reasons for being so,
regardless of the political justifications they may use to justify their
politics. It is a basic reality all politicians know when they look for
adherents to their way of thinking.

full:
http://www.dailysabah.com/opinion/2014/12/04/three-lessons-learned-from-the-syrian-conflict