[Marxism] The US justice system is NOT broken!

Terry Burke terrence.finnerty at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 13:36:48 MST 2014

The United States calls itself “America” and this is emblematic of the
delusional, violent and arrogant, disrespectful, ignorant and bellicose
essence of what is meant when one speaks of the United States. I won’t call
it “America” anymore, I refuse to participate in the misappropriation of
that name to the perpetrators of genocide, holocaust and ecocide.

In the wake of John Crawford, Michael Brown, Eric Garner, Tamir Rice… (how
many others? see below.) the Authorities are solemnly announcing
investigations and how they’re making recommendations to tweak this and
tweak that and “find the individuals responsible and hold them accountable”

This is like a piece of shit looking at itself with a microscope and
finding that there is evidence that it is full of shit. Investigate!
Identify the shit and get it out of there! I can see this scalpel wielding
piece of shit whacking away at itself… right.

That’s where the metaphor breaks down. It’s damn near impossible for
anything to take action which it would perceive as harmful to itself - such
as cutting out one of its own vital organs - such as trying to cut racism
and genocidal aggression out of the United States. It was founded to be a
racist utopia for Christ’s sake. The United States can’t be expected to
solve the problems it creates for its victims. Massive violence, blatant
racism, ruthless exploitation and cold-hearted genocide and rape are basic
to the “American” deal. Denying it is so fucking boring. Get real. The U.S.
is an authoritarian, classist, imperialistic, racist, ultra-violent
criminal enterprise and always has been.

Look. Look again. Keep looking.

*(A Very Brief) Trail of Shameless Lies and Murders*
———————————————————-

1637
*Mystic Massacre* <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystic_Massacre>
———————————————————-

1763
*Paxton Boys* <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paxton_Boys>
———————————————————-

1779
*Sullivan Expedition* <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sullivan_Expedition>
———————————————————-

1826
*Dressing Point Massacre*
———————————————————-

1850
*Bloody Island Massacre*
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Island_Massacre>
———————————————————-

1864
*Sand Creek Massacre* <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_Creek_massacre>

———————————————————-

1871
*Chinese Massacre of 1871 (Los Angeles)*
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_massacre_of_1871>
———————————————————-

1873
*Colfax Massacre* <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colfax_massacre>
———————————————————-

1876
*Hamburg Massacre* <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburg_Massacre>
———————————————————-

1887
*Thibodaux Massacre* <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thibodaux_massacre>
———————————————————-

1890
*Wounded Knee Massacre*
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wounded_Knee_Massacre>
———————————————————-

1914
*Ludlow Massacre* <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludlow_Massacre>
———————————————————-

1921
*Tulsa Race Riot* <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_race_riot>
———————————————————-

1923
*Rosewood Massacre* <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosewood_massacre>
———————————————————-

1924
*Hanapepe Massacre* <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanapepe_massacre>
———————————————————-

1927
*Columbine Mine Massacre*
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbine_Mine_massacre>
———————————————————-

1930
*Watsonville Riots* <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watsonville_Riots>
———————————————————-

1943
*Zoot Suit Riots* <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoot_Suit_Riots>
———————————————————-

1951
*Bloody Christmas (1951)*
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Christmas_%281951%29>
———————————————————-

1964
*Harlem Riot of 1964* <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlem_Riot_of_1964>
———————————————————-

1965
*Watts Riots* <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watts_Riots>
———————————————————-

1967
*Newark Riots* <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_Newark_riots>
———————————————————-

1968
*Orangeburg Massacre* <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orangeburg_Massacre>
———————————————————-

1968
*Chicano Moratorium* <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicano_Moratorium>
———————————————————-

1970
*Jackson State Killings*
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_State_killings>
———————————————————-

1979
*Eula Love Murdered by L.A.P.D.*
<http://blogging.la/2010/04/27/while-everyone-else-is-busy-remember-daryl-gates-life-ill-remember-eula-loves-death/>
———————————————————-

1980
*Miami Riots* <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Riot_1980>
———————————————————-

1986
*Michael Zinzun Blinded in One Eye by Pasadena Police*
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Zinzun>
———————————————————-

1992
*Los Angeles Uprising*
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Los_Angeles_riots>
———————————————————-

1996
*St. Petersburg, Florida Riot of 1996*
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Petersburg,_Florida_riot_of_1996>
———————————————————-

1997

*Abner Louima* <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abner_Louima>
———————————————————-

1999
*Shooting of Amadou Diallo*
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Amadou_Diallo>
———————————————————-

2000
*"the Oakland Riders"*
<http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/With-charges-dismissed-Oakland-Riders-want-jobs-2451392.php#ixzz1kzWnHO9E>
———————————————————-

2002
*Police Beating of Donavan Jackson*
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cases_of_police_brutality_in_the_United_States>
———————————————————-

2009
*BART Police shooting of Oscar Grant*
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BART_Police_shooting_of_Oscar_Grant>
———————————————————-

*and on and on and on….*

*DOJ Police Brutality Investigation of Albuquerque Police Leads to Federal
Oversight & Consent Decree; Springettsbury Twp. settles 2 federal lawsuits
alleging police brutality; Federal investigation claims abuses among New
Orleans police; Federal Findings: Juries find for Kansas City police in
similar brutality cases; Officer Involved: Cleveland Cop In 12-Year-Old’s
Shooting Death Was Deemed ‘Weepy’ and Unfit for Duty; Buffalo Police
brutality allegations spur Federal investigation; Federal monitor ordered
for Newark police for civil rights violations; Feds: Seattle police show
‘pattern of excessive force’; Detroit still struggles against police
brutality; Federal review of Baltimore police brutality to be ‘candid,’
official says; Call for Federal Investigation into Chicago Police Brutality
Ignored; Oakland Spent $74 Million Settling 417 Police Brutality Lawsuits;
Michigan struggles focus on racism, police brutality; From Anaheim to
Oakland, Police Brutality Still Plagues California…*
​=======================================​

Message: 6
> Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 23:16:14 -0500
> From: Dennis Brasky <dmozart1756 at gmail.com>
> To: Activists and scholars in Marxist tradition
>         <marxism at lists.csbs.utah.edu>
> Subject: [Marxism] The US justice system is NOT broken!
>
> Policing in America is not broken. The judicial system is not broken.
> American society is not broken. All are functioning perfectly, doing
> exactly what they have done since before some of this nation's most
> prosperous slave-murdering robber-barons came together to consecrate into
> statehood the mechanisms of their barbarism. Democracy functions.
> Politicians, deriving their legitimacy from the public, have discerned the
> will of the people and used it to design and enact policies that carry it
> out, among them those that govern the allowable levels of violence which
> state can visit upon citizen. Taken together with the myriad other
> indignities, thefts, and cruelties it visits upon black and brown people,
> and the work common white Americans do on its behalf by telling themselves
> bald fictions of some deep and true America of apple pies, Jesus, and
> people being neighborly to each other and betrayed by those few and
> nonrepresentative bad apples with their isolated acts of meanness, the
> public will demands and enables a whirring and efficient machine that does
> what it does for the benefit of those who own it. It processes black and
> brown bodies into white power.
>

> http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/the-american-justice-system-is-not-broken-1666445407

------------------------

If I were asked to answer the following question: What is slavery? and I
should answer in one word, It is murder!, my meaning would be understood at
once. No extended argument would be required to show that the power to
remove a man's mind, will, and personality, is the power of life and death,
and that it makes a man a slave. It is murder. Why, then, to this other
question: What is property? may I not likewise answer, It is robbery!,
without the certainty of being misunderstood; the second proposition being
no other than a transformation of the first?
    — Pierre-Joseph Proudhon, What is Property? [1840]

------------------------

Si me estuviera preguntada contestar a la siguiente pregunta: ¿Qué es la
esclavitud? y yo lo contesto in una sola palabra, "¡Es el homicidio¡", mi
sentido de inmediato sería entendido. No se requiere ningún argumento de
forma elaborada para demostrar de que el poder de quitar a uno su cerebro,
voluntad y personalidad es el poder de la vida y la muerte, y que se hace a
uno un esclavo. Es un asesinato. Por que, entonces, a esta otra pregunta:
"¿Qué es la propiedad?", de igual manera no lo puedo contestar, "¡Es
robar!", sin la certitud de estar malentendido; la segunda proposición
siendo nada más una transformación de la primera?
    — Pierre-Joseph Proudhon, What is Property? [1840]