[Marxism] Fwd: Review: Saturday Night Live: “James Franco/Nicki Minaj” · TV Club · The A.V. Club

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Dec 7 08:29:06 MST 2014

What was the worst possible response SNL could make to the horrific,
captured-on-camera snuff film that was the police murder of Eric Garner?
If you guessed, “they could make fun of Al Sharpton’s weight and
intelligence,” then pour yourself another drink along with me and stare
off into the distance, trying to remember a time when this show took a
stand ever, on anything. Conservative, liberal—this happened in SNL’s
own backyard. They had a solid week to not only process a shocking event
that happened right in New York City, but also to take in how other
comics and comedy shows did so. And this is the best SNL could muster? A
cold open with Kenan Thompson’s ever-mediocre Sharpton not letting other
people talk and mispronouncing words. Wow. Look, I get that this
incident is divisive (I guess), and that it’s an act of sheerest
optimism to hope that SNL would show some modicum of engagement with the
biggest, most incendiary news story of the week (that is sparking
massive protests right outside its own windows), but this was a new low.
What’s the joke?

full:
http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/saturday-night-live-james-franconicki-minaj-212697