[Marxism] Fwd: How ISIS Rules by Sarah Birke | NYRblog | The New York Review of Books

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Dec 12 05:05:46 MST 2014

During the initial phase of ISIS rule, locals told me they disliked the
excesses of the Islamic State, but some were pleased that the corruption
and chaos of rebel rule had ended. One businessman from Raqqa who now
lives in Turkey told me that, though he hated the group, it was easier
to ship goods through ISIS territory because the checkpoints did not
take bribes like other rebel groups. The group was also pragmatic in
running municipal services in Raqqa, keeping expert employees in
position, including in government-run services such as the phone
network, but making clear they now work for the Islamic State.
Schoolteachers are allowed to continue to teach, but with an altered
curriculum that has had subjects such as chemistry and French removed
and Islamic studies added. A junior doctor in her twenties, who went
into exile in September, told me how the department heads in her
hospital in Raqqa had been replaced by Islamic State men—complete with
titles such as Emir of General Medicine. Female doctors were now only
allowed to treat female patients, and in full niqab. “How am I meant to
operate in black gloves and with barely my eyes showing?” the doctor
asked me.

But it quickly became clear that ISIS’s ability to maintain power
depended overwhelmingly on outright repression. Although the beheadings
of two American journalists and one aid worker, and two British aid
workers have caught headlines, far more Syrians and Iraqis have been
murdered by the group and scores have been tortured. Abu Hamza, a Syrian
defector from ISIS’s intelligence services, told me that the will of the
state is primarily imposed by security services, just as it was under
the Baathist regime in Iraq and continues to be in Assad’s Syria. ISIS’s
security forces, he said, are a mix of nationalities but include enough
Syrians who know others’ pasts. “They look at all the threats to Islamic
State, from Bashar al-Assad to America and the other rebels—but their
number one enemy is the [mainstream] rebels,” he said.

full: http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2014/dec/09/how-isis-rules/