[Marxism] We Must All Support SYRIZA

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Dec 14 09:11:24 MST 2014

On 12/14/14 10:42 AM, James Creegan via Marxism wrote:
> No, but there was a fierce attack on the franc in response to Mitterand's
> left-Keynesian program in 1981, as well as his inclusion of PCF members
> in his coalition. Mitterand responded by abandoning the left-reformist
> platform on which he was elected and leading an austerity drive.

I still have no idea what this has to do with Nicaragua. Ultraleft
sectarians like you always had the answer. "Lay hands" on the
capitalists. In fact sometimes there are no answers in the class
struggle when the odds are insurmountably against you. No matter how
revolutionary-minded the leadership of a trade union is, a strike will
often be ended on terms unfavorable to the workers. In Nicaragua the
revolution was defeated not because the FSLN lacked a revolutionary
perspective but because the USA was able to keep a low-intensity war
going until the people could not stand it any longer. Hunger, death and
illness were more powerful forces than any leaflet, even one written by
you. The Nicaraguans voted for an American-backed politician because
they were being blackmailed. Even if you ran for president of Nicaragua
in 1990 with your soaring revolutionary thoughts and language, they
still will have voted for Violetta Chamorro. Reagan wanted them to "cry
uncle" and they did.

It is only people who are so cocooned from reality such as you, having
spent their entire adult lives composing Coyoacan-type communiques in
their mind, who can blame the FSLN for "selling out" the revolution.

If you weren't such an absurdly comic figure with your sterile panaceas,
I would describe you as a threat to the left. Fortunately, the
generation you belonged to--the hammer-and-sickle/Red Star verbal
radicalism of the coffee shop smart set--has almost disappeared from the
political landscape. It is only by making speeches during the Q&A period
at Left Forums or trolling Marxmail that you can get a shred of attention.