[Marxism] [Pen-l] Fwd: Hanukkah — bah, humbug | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 21:22:33 MST 2014

"Judaism, as much as any other world religion, can boast an extraordinary
history of secular thought. Albert Einstein, Sigmund Freud, Karl Marx,
Isaiah Berlin, Christopher Hitchens, Tony Kushner—who can think of better
Jews than these ...?"

Leaving aside whatever else we think of Hitchens, he learned his mother had
been a "secret Jew" in middle age, and didn't care. (I actually discussed
Jewishness with him in I think 2001. He mentioned his wife's - I'm not sure
which one - but not his own, which he seems to have considered
non-existent. On that rare point, I might agree with him.)

--
lytlað."