[Marxism] Fwd: Raising Ambitions: The Challenge in Teaching at Community Colleges - NYTimes.com

michael yates mikedjyates at msn.com
Sun Dec 21 22:27:44 MST 2014

This article is interesting. Ira Schor has written a lot about teaching students such as those described here. Critical Teaching and Everyday Life is a good introduction. When I taught, at a college in Johnstown, PA, where at least for a decade or so, most of my students were not all that different from community college students. I was struck by how little most teachers knew about teaching and how little effort they put in to learning how to teach. Shocking incompetence was the rule. But what I also learned was how poorly those students majoring in education performed and how bad their teachers were. We all are opposed to the attacks on public school teachers and their unions. But we are loathe to see or admit how dreadful many of our kids' teachers are. Most of us start life curious and intelligent. Something seems to happen along the way, though.