[Marxism] Fwd: Why String Theory Still Offers Hope We Can Unify Physics | Science | Smithsonian

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Wed Dec 24 09:51:00 MST 2014

On Dec 24, 2014, at 11:39 AM, Les Schaffer via Marxism wrote:

> its possible to say something interesting about a dimension without
> the
> existence of a higher dimensional embedding space. watch this:
> walking a
> thousand feet east, or a thousand feet north seems very different from
> climbing a thousand feet up stairs. for the life of me i can't figure
> out why.

this says something--totally uninteresting--about your personal
physiological sensations. What it says about dimensions for the life
of me i can't figure out.

>> And then what could make less sense than to say "dimensions which we
>> directly experience" when nobody--no sentient being--has ever
>> "directly experienced" a dimension? What is experienced, what alone
>> can be experienced, is a process of constantly changing things
>> presented to us as a complex that our perceptual apparatus organizes,
>> as guide to living practice, within that four-dimensional structure
>> of
>> experienced reality.
>>

> in other words, we don't "directly experience" time, space, mass, much
> less dimensions...

Obviously.

Shane Mage

This cosmos did none of gods or men make, but it
always was and is and shall be: an everlasting fire,
kindling in measures and going out in measures.

Herakleitos of Ephesos