[Marxism] PFLP statement on its 47th anniversary

Ken Hiebert knhiebert at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 26 15:19:41 MST 2014

This message sent by Philip Ferguson December 19th

http://rdln.wordpress.com/2014/12/19/pflp-statement-on-47th-anniversary-of-its-founding/

An impressive achievement for them still to be there and still fighting for
the same goals.

Phil

Yes, they have survived, no small achievement when you consider the circumstances.  It is also true to say that they have been to some degree eclipsed by Hamas, an organization that did not exist 47 years ago.  There are a number of reasons for this.  Initially, Israel favoured the Muslim Brotherhood, the forerunners of Hamas, as a counterweight to the PLO.  And Hamas benefitted from financial aid from Saudi Arabia.  But another reason has been suggested.  And that is the hesitation of the PFLP to counterpose itself to the leadership of the PLO.  Hamas, clearly counterposed to the PLO, benefitted from popular disillusionment with the PLO.

International solidarity
The statement does not mention the international solidarity movement.  It does mention one international initiative.  The PFLP proposes to take the issue of Palestine to the UN.  While the Palestinians have very right to take their case to the UN, I don't think that is where solidarity activists should be putting their time and energy.  At least where I am in Canada, I think we need to do basic education on Palestine.  That is where I am putting my efforts.
As well as that I am putting some small effort into BDS - Boycott, Divestment, &Sanctions.  This campaign offers some hope and I find it a remarkable omission from the statement.

		ken h