[Marxism] Fwd: Why Airlines Want to Make You Suffer

Ralph Johansen mdriscollrj at charter.net
Sat Dec 27 14:04:01 MST 2014

The New Yorker discusses other reasons many like me won't board a plane
again. The main reason had been the intrusive search and snoop on
boarding - not mentioned here, as if it had become justified and beyond
discussion. Like all the other intrusions on the protections of the 4th
Amendment. But what the hey, it's all about capital, competition,
concentration and centralization. What's to mention?

Here's a local illustration, trivial if you don't live here: I live in a
totally isolated small county on the Oregon border. We have access to
the rest of California only via a section of highway that's constantly
falling into the Pacific Ocean and is periodically impassable, called
Last Chance Grade. Everyone expects that the erosion and collapse,
becoming more serious each year, will soon be final. We won't have
access to the rest of our state of California except through an 8-hour
detour via I-5 through inland Oregon. Or until recently, by air, small
comfort in this desperately poor community.

In the midst of all this, United Airlines had announced last month that
they were to cease serving us with their propeller-driven planes,
Brazilian Embraers, on their affiliate SkyWest Airlines, because they
were transitioning to an all-jet fleet too large for small local
airports like ours. Although the feds a week later countermanded that
decision due to local business protests, citing the Essential Air
Service (EAS) program, which provides about $1,996,000 for air service
to our area each year from the federal government (a program to assist
small communities to be serviced by certified airline carriers) - -  so
service will continue on a reduced schedule.
Louis Proyect wrote

One of the major reasons I prefer staying in NYC rather than travel.

http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/airlines-want-you-to-suffer

---