[Marxism] Oscar/celebrities pilgered

Gregory Adler gregadler502 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 06:23:17 MST 2014

Pilger skewers some celebrity stuff but I was particularly interested in
what he has to say about The Deer Hunter.

I had never seen this film until a couple of weeks ago when I recorded an
early morning screening of it. The film is a farrago of lies against the
Vietnamese (North South or united) -the Russian roulette crap is made up
from thin air so far as the Vietnamese go ( apparently in the original
story  was set in Las Vegas and used the idea of illicit betting on such a
macabre
contest.

But even setting to one side the political and racial defamation and lies
the film struck me as a tedious mess-an unpleasant combination of
clunkiness  (the absurdly elongated wedding sequence) and vilely over the
top melodramatics (whenever Asians appear).

I am baffled as to why this came to be considered some sort of classic.

http://www.newstatesman.com/2014/01/john-pilger-celebrity-oscars