[Marxism] Oscar/celebrities pilgered

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Feb 2 06:42:48 MST 2014

On 2/2/14 8:23 AM, Gregory Adler wrote:
> I am baffled as to why this came to be considered some sort of classic.

All those "auteur" films about Vietnam are crap, with Cimino's the
worst. But trailing close behind are Kubrick's "Full Metal Jacket",
Francis Ford Coppola's "Apocalypse Now" and even Oliver Stone's
"Platoon". In each and every one of them, the Vietnamese are the
unknowable "gook". The emphasis is on the suffering of the grunt. If I
ever made a film about the Vietnam war it would be from the perspective
of a Vietnamese soldier living in a tunnel, as they did for months on
end. And crosscutting to his family near Hanoi who had to take cover
from B-52 attacks.