[Marxism] Marx may be smiling

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Feb 2 10:15:45 MST 2014

On 2/2/14 11:56 AM, Break Chains wrote:
> And in China alone, that’s bringing hundreds of millions of people
> out of poverty. Clearly, the communist revolutions of the first half
> of the 20th century proved far, far worse for living standards than
> the well-regulated markets of the latter half.

Not really. The countries that had revolutions became victimized
immediately by far more powerful nations that were determined to rob
them of trading partners, credit, etc. When counter-revolutions took
place, they became integrated into world markets--a double-edged sword.
Kenny is what I would call a Panglossian. Brad DeLong has the same kind
of analysis.