[Marxism] Where to for Cuba?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Feb 3 00:26:58 MST 2014

On 2/3/14 2:12 AM, En Passant with John Passant wrote:
> It is this political vision advocating for the democratic
> self-management of Cuban society that can shape a compelling
> resistance for what is likely to come writes Sam Farber in Jacobin
> magazine. Through cultivating solidarity with those most vulnerable
> and calling for class, racial, and gender equality, a future movement
> can build a united front against old and emerging oppressors.
>
> In that vision lies hope for the people of Cuba and the broader
> region.
>
> http://enpassant.com.au/2014/02/03/where-to-for-cuba/

What will people do when Farber croaks? Who will be the go-to guy for
idealist formulas? Mike Gonzalez? What ever happened to him, I wonder.
Perhaps the travails of the British SWP have left him too exhausted to
write articles on Cuba peppered with references to "Cubanologists" like
Carmelo Mesa-Lago. I would be more impressed with Comrade Passant if he
could do his own research and not channel Farber's. If you are going to
write seriously about Cuba, you have to read pro and con. And I am not
talking about articles in the left press. I am talking about serious
scholarly texts written by people like Julia Sweig's "Inside the Cuban
Revolution: Fidel Castro and the Urban Underground".

Frankly, John's obsession with Cuba is rather unhealthy. Given the fact
that he is a graduate student, I would think that he should have the
training to weigh both sides of an argument. Maybe life in a sect
conditioned him to let others do their thinking for him. All I know is
that once I left the SWP, I enjoyed the freedom to do my own research
and my own writing. That in fact is how the Russian (and German) social
democracy added. Do you think that people like Bukharin read Iskra to
figure out what position to take on the national question?

Roll up your sleeves and do some work, comrade.