[Marxism] From a Ramapo resident

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Feb 3 15:11:31 MST 2014

This appeared as a comment on my review of a documentary about Ford
dumping toxic waste in an area populated by American Indians, the same
area that was portrayed as a drug and crime infested hellhole in the
rancid film "Out of the Furnace".

---

I have lived my life in the Ramapo Valley. Born and raised in the
Village of Hillburn NY, where I trapped in the Torne Valley just north
of the village. I was a very active trapper, tracker, and
hunter/forager, as a boy. I witnessed paint sludge dumping and burial
which went on in the middle of the night. So lets see, if this wasn’t
something one was supposed to be doing, why then in the middle of the
night and trenched and backfilled? Most hunters from our region
eventually contract cancer, the numbers are frightening. Today I work as
a college professor and a researcher with Ramapo College, Cornell
Cooperative Extension of Rockland and Antioch School of Environmental
Studies in New Hampshire. I have been working with the Town of the
Ramapo on negotiating with Ford for the clean-up work that is being done
in Hillburn and in Ramapo Hamlet area. This past year we have gotten
Ford to remove 40,000 tons of contamination from the Ramapo Well Field,
yes that is right from your local source of drinking water. While we are
at it let me point out that knoweldge of this paint sludge in the well
field has been there since it was dumped there, it was no secret. Our
regulatory agencies failed us for years but now, finally we have some
traction. Primarily this is because of the efforts of Ramapo Town
Supervisor Chris St. Lawrence, who continues to negotiate on behalf of
the watershed as no politician ever did in the Borough of Ringwood. We
have built a home for my students who continue to do field research in
the watershed. It is called the Ramapo Saltbox Environmental Research
Center. You can see some of the work we did on this if you go to the
Town of Ramapo Web Site. As for the interesting discussion that spun out
here during 2011, I agree with Chief Mann of the Turtle Clan. It really
takes some stepping out of your white perspective in order to assess
this story. In the meantime, we will continue to move Ford along toward
a full recovery.

Thanks for reading this.

Chuck Stead