[Marxism] Michael Wood reviews ‘12 Years a Slave’ · LRB 6 February 2014

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Feb 3 17:55:15 MST 2014

For much of the time Steve McQueen’s 12 Years a Slave strikes a
curiously stately rhythm, as if it didn’t want to be a movie but an art
exhibition or a class in design. The frame fills with colours and lines,
gold, green, black, yellow, dusty grey, sharp, blurry, fading. The
effect is one of pure abstraction, and very beautiful. This effect
remains even when the colours and lines resolve into figures,
landscapes, objects. Now we see a river, a meadow, a line of trees, the
churning wheels of a paddle steamer, a harrowed human face, and the
camera lingers, resisting all idea of time and narrative. This is true
even when an image is taken directly from the book on which the movie is
based, where the scene is instantly and plausibly interpreted for us.
‘The inanimate body of poor Robert was consigned to the white waters of
the gulf … and I gazed out over the great waste of waters with a spirit
that was indeed disconsolate.’ In the film we see the wake of the ship,
the sack with the body floating in the gleaming water, but it doesn’t
translate into an unconsoled spirit. Or rather it does if we choose this
translation, but on the screen the water just gleams, the sack slips
away, the sea stretches to the horizon.

full: http://www.lrb.co.uk/v36/n03/michael-wood/at-the-movies