[Marxism] The Real Van Ronk » CounterPunch: Tells the Facts, Names the Names

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Feb 7 08:01:11 MST 2014

But before I’d read even halfway through Dave Van Ronk’s exceptional
memoir, The Mayor of MacDougal Street, I found myself completely
rethinking my enthusiasm for the film. I had read that many incidents in
Llewyn Davis were loosely based on stories from Van Ronk’s book, and I’d
been a fan of Van Ronk’s music ever since I saw him play in the Village
as a teenager in the early 1970s. I’m also an enthusiastic fan of the
book’s producer/editor/ghost-writer, Elijah Wald, who gets a credit on
the cover. Wald’s own writing includes two stellar revisionist histories
of 20th century popular music: one focuses on the legacy of Robert
Johnson and other early- to mid-century blues singers; the other
strikingly recasts popular music history in its broadest historical
sweep. In both cases, Wald urges us to reconsider our assumptions about
which music stands the test of time, and how that’s sometimes quite at
odds with what was most popular in its own time.  So I had high
expectations for the book, but didn’t think it would compel me to
completely rethink my earlier feelings about the Coen Brothers’ version,
and ultimately to question the film’s aesthetics, politics and story line.

full: http://www.counterpunch.org/2014/02/07/the-real-van-ronk/