[Marxism] Sid Caesar, legendary comedian, dead at 91 | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Feb 13 08:10:30 MST 2014

Sid Caesar died yesterday at the age of 91. The N.Y. Times obituary
(http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/13/arts/television/sid-caesar-comic-who-blazed-tv-trail-dies-at-91.html)
pays tribute to his remarkable breakthroughs as a comedian, who Alfred
Hitchcock compared to Charlie Chaplin and who counted Albert Einstein as
one of biggest fans. Speaking of Chaplin and Einstein, a couple of
lefties, I can’t say I am surprised that the obit did not pay attention
to Sid Caesar’s early leftist affinities. While they never were
manifested in his hugely popular TV show, his evolution as a comic was
definitely just as much a product of the New Deal popular culture as
Pete Seeger’s.

I have a pretty strong connection to Sid Caesar even though I never
spoke a word to him. This is partly a function of my being a young kid
when he used to show up in Woodridge, my hometown, from time to time but
also a function of his intimidating presence. He used to show up at the
pharmacy next to my dad’s store “strapped”—he was heavily into guns.
Plus, he was a big guy who gave off “don’t bother me” vibes. As it
turned out, Sid was a health food nut even if he was not above
developing a spoof on the bean sprout scene.

full:
http://louisproyect.org/2014/02/13/sid-caesar-legendary-comedian-dead-at-91/