[Marxism] "For members only" ISO documents now available: when will they ever learn?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Feb 13 14:52:10 MST 2014

On 2/13/14 4:33 PM, DW wrote:
> Unlike a lot of self-described democratic centralist organizations, I've
> seen ISO members split their votes at important occupy meetings and
> education meetings.

I can't comment on this but the more overarching question is a problem
of groupthink. This is an almost inevitable outcome of the "recruitment"
and "training" model of all these groups. People like Trotsky, Riazanov,
Lozovsky, Bukharin, Kamenev et al developed their own Marxist thinking
on their own. The Russian Social Democratic Party was simply a
coalescing of men and women who had already become self-developed
Marxist activists and thinkers. I don't think that we can achieve
anything like this today since Marxism is in such a weakened state but
surely we can advance toward a *hard* left party that has room for
people who:

1. Oppose the two party system and believe that campaigns like Sawant's
are a good thing.

2. Understand that capitalism is the cause of the environmental crisis.

3. Want to build a militant trade union movement.

etc., etc.

The sect model is a barrier to this development since it undermines
motion toward a more inclusive movement. I think that sects can provide
some use in opposing one injustice or another but in the long run we
will have to develop a mass party for which "internal documents" are
irrelevant.